During the Emerging Researchers' Conference, the Convenors and the Senior Mentor of the Emerging Researchers' Group select the best poster presented during the interactive poster sessions. In special cases, it is possible to have more than one winning poster. The judges evaluate the posters according to the following criteria:
- quality of the research in terms of theoretical and methodological aspects
- originality of the work presented
- added value of the research in terms of “closing a gap” in knowledge
- degree of European contexualisation
- adequateness and originality of poster layout in relation to its contents
- quality of the 10 minute poster presentation .
The winner of the Best Poster Award is announced during the closing ceremony of the Emerging Researchers' Conference. The presenter of the winning poster is invited to attend the following year's ECER conference and receives a 550,-€ bursary. An official EERA certificate will also be awarded.
In 2019, the ERC will pilot a "popular vote poster award" for the first time. A certificate of recognition will be given to the winner of this award, following a peer based vote during the Interactive Poster Session in which the participants decide which poster they liked best. This award will acknowledge (in addition to the Best Poster Award) the high quality of the posters presented at the Emerging Researchers’ Conference. The process will give authors a further opportunity for feedback on their work based on a peer review process during the Conference.