22 SES 14 B, Let’s Do Something New! Current Research and Practice on Aspects of Professionalization in Academic Development
To increase the level of research competences in their lecturers (40% bachelor’s degree), as part of transforming into an institution that generates new knowledge through research , Rotterdam UAS has started a pilot project. During nine months, four lecturers collectively conduct research in a related professional field, supported by just-in-time supervision. An systematic evaluation was executed, since previous studies on research education do consider teachers (Dunn, Harrison, & Coombe, 2007), future academics (Manathunga, Lant, & Mellick, 2007), and post-doctorates (Gordon, 2005). Hardly any studies consider how experienced lecturers in higher education cope with learning research. This paper reports the first results of two of five levels of an longitudinal evaluation study (T=4; based on Guskey, 2002): a) expectations, motivation and self-efficacy (Griffioen, De Jong & Jak, 2013), and b) perceived stimulations/limitations. Data is gathered by written self-perception reports by the lecturers, with deepening interviews added, and thematically analysed. The results are compared with the researcher-development taxonomy (Evans, 2012). The first results show that expectations on what will be learned is mainly based on what they wish to gain: a) to (better) learn to conduct research, and b) to have a positive influence on their future careers in the current institutions or beyond.
Search the ECER Programme
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.