12 SES 02, Analysing and Constructing Virtual Environments
Parallel Paper Session
The Erickson Research Centre is developing e-Value: a multimedia system for the assessment of learning skills, the detection of learning difficulties, the design of educational interventions and the delivering of digital didactic content. The system focuses on the application and use of multimedia materials for evaluation, teaching, recovering and empowering. Material traditionally published in books or CD’s is implemented like a learning object and archived in repositories in order to facilitate its search, recombination and use.
For developing the system are needed:
1. A description of the didactic materials by content, cognitive context, application. The materials (learning objects and ebooks) have to be recognized and retrieved by an automatic system, and be browsable or searchable through a search engine.
2. A thesaurus on the cognitive processes regarding mathematics, reading-writing, languages and metaphonology, and an ontology connecting the whole set of description tags in a structure
3. A DSS (Decision Support System), able to support the educators, offering different didactical material depending of the various situations.
This paper describes the 1st and 2nd phases, and the first theoretical reflections on the 3rd.
Baader F. [et al.] (eds.) (2003), The Description Logic Handbook: Theory, Implementation, and Applications, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge MT Dempsey, L. & Heery, R. (1998), “Metadata: A current view of practice and issues”, in: Journal of Documentation 54(2), 145-172. Haynes, D. (2004) “Metadata for Information Management and Retrieval”, London : Facet Publishing Szakadát, I., Lois L. & Knapp G. (2005) “New Methods for Enhancing the Effectiveness of the Dublin Core Metadata Standard Using Complex Encoding Schemes”, in: Information System Development: Advances in Theory, Practice, and Education (ed. O. Vasilecas et al.), New York : Kluwer Taylor, A. G. & Joudrey D. N. (2008) The Organization of Information, 3th ed., Westport CT, London : Libraries Unlimited
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.