10 SES 14 B, Mentoring, PCK and More on the Theory-Practice Gap
In the field of education there has been a gulf between the production of pedagogical knowledge and the way that it is put into practice in education centres, popularly known as the theory-practice gap (Broekkamp and Hout-Wolters, 2007; Gravani, 2008; Álvarez, 2013).
This paper presents an approach to how teachers can bridge this gap so as to bring together both of these dimensions of education.
Based on this approach, the objective is to carry out an empirical research that explores the theory, practice and their interrelationships in a 'particular' researcher and teacher, José María Rozada.
He is one of the professionals who has worked on this subject in Spain from both sides, both theoretical (as a lecturer at the University of Oviedo, Spain) and practical (as a primary school teacher at Germán Fernández Ramos state school).
This researcher and teacher proposes that, to overcome the theory-practice dichotomy, it is necessary to construct and recognise a 'small pedagogy', that is, a space half-way between academic theorisation and teaching practice, fields that are currently rather far apart. In order to create these, he believes that a plane of theory and a plane of practice must be recognised which attract each other, instead of repelling each other. He proposes an intermediate theory and a practice between those previously formulated, which has been called 'second-order' (Rozada, 2007).
• Álvarez, C. (2013). Enseñanza y desarrollo profesional docente. Pensar y vivir la educación. Madrid: La muralla. • Broekkamp, H. & Hout-Wolters, B. (2007). The gap between educational research and practice: a literature review, symposium, and questionnaire. Educational Research and Evaluation, 13, 3, 203-220. • Day, C. (2005). Developing teachers: the challenges of lifelong learning. London: Falmer Press. • Gravani, M. (2008). Academics and practitioners: partners in generating knowledge or citizens of two different worlds? Teaching and Teacher Education, 24, 649-659. • Hennessy, S. & Deaney, R. (2009). “Intermediate theory” building: intergrating multiple teacher and researcher perspectivas through in-dept video análisis of pedagogic strategies. Teacher College Record, 111, 7, 1753-1795. • Korthagen, F. (2007). The gap between research and practice revisited. Educational Research and Evaluation, 13, 3, 303-310. • Korthagen, F. & Kessels, J. (2009). Linking theory and practice: changing the pedagogy of teacher education. Educational Researcher, 28, 4, 4-17. • Rozada, J.M. (2007). ¿Son posibles los puentes entre la teoría y la práctica por todo el mundo demandados, sin pilares intermedios? Romero, J. & Luis, A. (Coord.): La formación del profesorado a la luz de una profesionalidad democrática (47-53). Santander: Consejería de Educación de Cantabria. • Stake, R.E. (2005). The art of case study research. California: SAGE.
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.