14 SES 12 C, Understanding Teacher Professionalism and Practice in North and Eastern European Rural Communities
The qualitative data comprises 29 semi-structured interviews. They were conducted between December 2014 and April 2015 among teachers and kindergarten teachers working in rural schools and kindergartens (in countries mentioned above). This paper analyzes one of the categories that covers our research question and refers to the logic of the teacher’s school day. In order to get a deeper insight in meanings of this category qualitative content analysis procedure – following Mayring (2000) was applied. The teachers working in rural areas of different countries describes their daily work in terms of small school, friendly work environment, as well as isolation and limited access to different recourses. Lithuanian teachers underline missionary character of their daily work that “enlights” the whole village. The Polish school teachers experience that their way of “teaching to leave” is not necessarily understood and accepted by the community, while the Polish kindergarten teachers find many cohesions between their goals and work and the community expectations and articulated needs. The Norwegian kindergarten teachers work “normally” as all kindergartens in the country and the schoolteachers feel that their work in harmony between the formal and informal/local expectations. Presented results show different qualities of teachers work in rural schools and thereby different qualities of relations between school work and community; and might be to use to implement changes in different rural contexts as well as teacher education
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.