20 SES 05, Music Education in an Intercultural Environment
Parallel Paper Session
This study examines the factors that motivate children from 4-8 years old to begin their musical studies at the school of music and dance in Melilla, Spain, an intercultural environment, because now, more than ever, the study of music has gained relevance in the Spanish society, as the increase in music students in the last years illustrates (Ministry of Culture, 2009), as well as the growth of academies and schools of music dedicated to the musical amateur, without sacrificing the quality of education that is provided in other educational institutions (Organic Act 2, 2006).
The main objectives of this research were:
- To investigate the motivations to take up musical studies of children who are attending the School of Music and Dance of Melilla.
- To examine the relationship between different variables of comparison in relation to children’s motivation in musical training.
Buendía, L., Colás, M. P. & Hernández, F. (1998). Métodos de Investigación en Psicopedagogía. Madrid: McGraw-Hill. McPherson, G. E. (2005). From child to musician: Skill development during the beginning stages of learning an instrument. Psychology of Music, 33, 1 (2005) 5-35. McPherson, G. E. (2009). The role of parents in children's musical development. Psychology of Music, 37, 1 (2009) 91-110. Ministry of Culture (2009). Anuario de Estadísticas Culturales 2009. Madrid: Ministerio de Cultura. Available on: http://www.mcu.es/estadisticas/MC/NAEC/2009/Capitulos2009.html North, A. C. & Hargreaves, D. J. (2008). The social and applied psychology of music. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Organic Act 2/2006, de 3 de mayo, de Educación. BOE de 4-5-2006. Rodríguez, I. (2006). Redefiniendo el trabajo cualitativo con niños: El uso de la entrevista de grupo aplicada al estudio de la tecnología. Empírica: Revista de metodología de ciencias sociales, 12 (2006) 65-88. Schellenberg, E. G. (2008). The role of exposure in emotional responses to music. Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 31 (2008) 594-595. Sichivitsa, V. O. (2007). The influences of parents, teachers, peers and other factors on students’ motivation in music. Research Studies in Music Education, 29 (2007) 55-68.
Search the ECER Programme
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.