10 SES 09 A, Parallel Paper Session
Parallel Paper Session
Teachers are continually facing choices in their professional experiences, choices that often imply options between values of great importance for the pupils. My initial position is that teaching must be looked upon as an ethical concern. The teachers´ ethical values are important because the intention of teaching is purposeful growth and progress of the students, and the students are strongly dependent on their teachers (Tom, 1984). In teacher education professional ethical competence is emphasized as one of five areas of competence for the development of the students.
In a survey I ask how teachers in group conversations talk about professional ethical dilemmas from their everyday lives.
My research questions are:
· What kind of typical features of the professional ethical problems and dilemmas do the teachers choose to present for each other?
· How do teachers solve these problems and dilemmas?
· How do they justify/ legitimize their solutions?
Campbell, E. (2003). The ethical teacher. Maidenhead: Open University press. Colnerud, G. (1997). Ethical conflicts in teaching. Teaching and Teacher Education, 13(6), 627-635. Colnerud, G. (2003). Moral dimensions of teaching: An essay review of exploring the moral heart of teaching. Towards a teacher's creed. Teaching and Teacher Education, 19(5), 559-561. Fenstermacher, G. D., & Richardson, V. (1993). The elicitation and reconstruction of practical arguments in teaching. Journal of Curriculum Studies, 25(2), 101-114. Morgan, D. L. (1997). Focus groups as qualitative research (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage Publications Ohnstad, F. O. (2008). Profesjonsetiske dilemmaer og handlingsvalg blant lærere i lærerutdanningens praksisskoler. (Professional Ethical Dilemmas and Choices of Action among Teachers in the Practice Schools of the Teacher Training College). Ph.D, Unipub forl., Oslo. Ohnstad, F. O. (2004). Focus groups as a method for collecting qualitative data. Paper presented at the NFPF: "The Positioning of Education in Contemporary Knowledge Society", Island, Reykjavik. Tom, A. R. (1984). Teaching as a Moral Craft. New York: Longman Inc. Toulmin, S. (2003). The uses of argument Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.