23 SES 11 C, Comparing and Contrasting School Choice Policies: Problematics in Comparison
Idea of the paper is to sketch the first steps in developing ideas in comparative education drawing on the concepts of contingency and dynamics. Based on earlier research I argue that pitfalls like banality, ahistoricity and transfer are parts of the bigger problem in analysing contingent politics. As an alternative perspective I suggest a model for analysing dynamics in politics that was developed in the Finnish context through empirical and theoretical work. Using conceptual history and agenda setting theories, the dynamics perspective combines the earlier research views on complex politics with the dimensions of the political situation, political possibilities and Spielraum. Dynamics describes the logico-meaningful regularities and irregularities in the complexity of interaction between actors. I will endeavour to conceptualise dynamics, and to theorise, how this interaction could be understood and eventually compared. The model needs further empirical development and comparing school choice in different countries serves as an example. The goal for the presentation is to reflect the theoretical and empirical possibilities for further elaboration of the model.
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.