22 SES 06 A, Teaching, Learning and Assessment in Higher Education
The purpose of the paper is to contribute to the enhancement of the quality of teaching and learning in offshore education programmes of universities by:
- analysis a database of international and national policy documents, empirical studies and quality assurance frameworks relating to such programmes;
- reporting on an empirically-based qualitative study of the perspectives of key academic stakeholders on the delivery of transnational programmes ; and
- developing a framework for future businees in transnational teaching.
The empirical study was designedwithin the qualitative tradition of social science research was undertaken to provide:
(a) a set of case studies providing rich portrayals of the findings at each of the sites to be investigated, with particular reference to ‘giving voice’ to the stakeholders interviewed; and
(b) a set of generalisation from the case studies to inform practice.
The corpus of data was produced by pursuing the following three main research questions:
(i.) What are the perspectives of key academic stakeholders on what constitutes a quality university off-shore programme, with particular reference to quality learning and teaching?;
(ii.) What are their perspectives on the issues involved in the delivery of quality university off-shore programmes, with particular reference to quality learning and teaching?; and
(iii.) How do they ‘respond in the light of their perspectives to’ the various issues that arise for them in providing quality university offshore programmes, with particular reference to learning and teaching?
O’Donoghue,T. A. (2007) Planning Your Qualitative Research Project: An Introduction to Interpretivist Research in Education (London: Routledge, 2007). Punch, K. (2000) Introduction to Social Research (London: Sage). Pyvis D. and Chapman A. (2004) Student Experiences of Offshore Education: Issues for Quality, Australian University Quality Agency (AUQA) Occasional Publications Series, No.2. Chapman, A. and Pyvis, D. (2005) ‘Identity and social practice in higher education: Student experiences of postgraduate courses delivered ‘offshore’ in Singapore and Hong Kong by an Australian university’, International Journal of Educational Development, 25(1), pp. 39-52.
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.