26 SES 13 B, To Learn from Similarities and Variations - Country Specific Research on Principals Role, Work and Leadership 1
Since its independence, India has mostly sustained the same structure of governance that the British adopted in the earlier century. This pattern is observed in all sectors of the government including education. All government-aided schools continue with the old system of promoting the senior most teacher to the position of “head-master”. Except for some minimal training in personnel and financial management, the new head-masters typically have no professional preparation. With the bludgeoning school-going population (250 million) and the exponential growth of schools, India is re-examining its policies to improve the quality of school leadership. Along with government-aided schools, there is a rapid expansion of private school sector that tries to showcase trained and dedicated school administrators. In recent years, educational researchers have focused on school leadership and there are serious discussions on the role of new headmasters. There are already two approaches becoming visible. While Indian management schools emphasize an MBA style preparation, some universities have Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs in administration. If the government makes this preparation a requirement for school leaders, the implications of the change would be enormous. This presentation will highlight current research, policies and the future direction of school leadership preparation in India.
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.