10 SES 13 C, Teacher Professional Knowledge Development: the Linkage between General and Specific Pedagogical Knowledge (Part 1)
Symposium: to be continued in 10 SES 14 C
Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK) has been labelled the “great unknown” in Early Childhood Education (ECE) (Melendez Rojas, 2008) specially in traditions where child's development has been considered the knowledge base for ECE, excluding the content of learning from the analysis of the teachers' work and the child's activity (Chen & McNamee, 2006; Cullen, 2005; Hedges & Cullen, 2005a, 2005b). The pedagogy of ECE (Siraj-Blatchford, 2010) and the didactics of ECE (Pramling & Pramling-Samuelsson, 2011) suggest dimensions of action and knowledge that require strong content and pedagogical content knowledge of teachers. Recent studies about PCK of ECE teachers highlight similar dimensions (Lee, 2010; McCray, 2008; Melendez Rojas, 2008). The current framework for ECE Teacher Education in Portugal (since 2007) places a particular focus on both the content knowledge of teachers and on subject didactics. To contribute to the understanding of the specificity of mathematics PCK in ECE, we present cases from student teachers' practicum, based on lesson plans and observations of practices, from one teacher education programme in Portugal. The cases were analysed in collaboration between the Mathematics and ECE teachers/researchers. Each case explores the interaction between content knowledge, PCK and specificity of ECE, in relation to previous research.
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.