23 SES 11 A, Exploring Diversity of Accountability Policies Across Education Areas
This paper introduces the symposium in two ways. On the basis of an important literature review, it discusses first the following main points: 1) the various and polysemous meanings of accountability in education policy and more largely in the public sphere 2) main dimensions of so-called “new” accountability policies in education (with a brief development of their genesis) 3) an essay of typology of recent accountability policies in education, based both on the tools of public action involved and the theory of regulation embedded in the policy (conception of the actor and expected mediations in the regulation process) . Four rationales of accountability policies could be analytically distinguished mixing in different proportion formal accountability and reporting tools and moral expectations of professionnal responsibility and answerability from teachers and principals for the results of their action : 1) high stake accountability 2) neo-bureaucratic accountability 3) formal and reflexive accountability 4) soft and reflexive responsibility. These logics will be illustrated by european or north-american cases.
Search the ECER Programme
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.