23 SES 12 B, Youth on the Move – Transitions in Times of Uncertainty (Part 2)
Symposium: continued from 23 SES 11 B, to be continued in 23 SES 13 B
Place has a particular relevance in postsecondary education transitions given the need for differentiated strategies of agents in relation to the location of education and labour supply. The paper argues that the continuation of studies is an unequal possibility in terms of disposition, and in terms of reach; transition to higher levels of education (and work) is thus an opportunity unequally distributed, objectively and subjectively. In the cases pertaining to this exploration, this inequality is associated to several factors among which it becomes important to include geography, where size, location and the characteristics of place account as a relevant factor to further the understanding of the structure of opportunity and social mobility. Through an embedded case study in Colima, Mexico, and by the use of mixed research methods we outline the features of transition towards higher education of localized youths and we explore their representations about their possibilities of access to education and labour markets, and how these materialize into a transition choice. We observe a variation in the dispositions and resources mobilized by the localized youths in relation to a particular and collective experience of place and mobility of the individual that result in typified transition narratives and experiences.
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.