23 SES 11 C JS, Societal Sustainability: The Contribution of Adult Education to Sustainable Societies
Symposium Joint Session NW 23 with NW 28
The UN and its initiatives in Education for Sustainable Development have affirmed citizen learning as a means of making more sustainable futures. In this paper, I use the concept of ‘spaces of orientation’ to understand education and how it contributes to citizen learning. I report on research that used transnational policy analysis and Australian case study research to show how contradictory logics slowed action on sustainability in and beyond education. Still I note how educators can and are progressing this sustainability agenda.
Bruntland, Gro Harlem (1987) Our Common Future, Report of the World Commission on Environment and Development, http://www.un-documents.net/our-common-future.pdf Haug, F. (2010). "A politics of working life", in T. Seddon, L. Henrikkson, and B. Niemeyer, (eds.), Learning and Work and the Politics of Working Life: Global transformations and collective identities in teaching, nursing and social work. London: Routledge, pp. 217-225. Seddon, T. (1993). Context and beyond: Reframing the Theory and Practice of Education. London: Falmer. Mandalios, J. (2010) Civilizational complexes and processes: Elias, Nelson and Eisenstein, in Delanty, G. and Engin, F. I. (Eds) Handbook of Historical Sociology, Sage.
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.