20 SES 10 B, What Kind of Teacher Competence, Collaborative Knowledge and Perspective are Essential for Working with Multicultural Settings and Different Cultures on Various Levels of Education?
The educational competence of a higher education institution teacher is defined as the teacher's knowledge, abilities, and skills; his experince in the activitiesas a student, personal qualities, and attitudes and values, corresponding to the learning paradigm that determine successful support of the teacher to the student. Educational competence can be understood as the ability to employ personal qualities, subject knowledge, and pedagogical skills to meet the student's academic needs and create an effective learning environment.
The teachers' educational activities in the learning environment of the specialized university are distinguished by the fact that the majority of the teachers have no education of a traditional teacher. Thus, great significance falls on learning from experience in acquiring educational competence and creating a learning environment based on parity relationship between teachers and students. The problem is also the fact that without proper assessment of the importance of educational competence, and just with the focus mainly on the development of subject knowledge and expertise, there are difficulties in meeting the academic needs of the students. According to the research of the Lithuanian scientists, such as Jucevičienė, et al. (2010); Virgailaitė - Mečkauskaitė (2012); Gudaitytė, Butrimė , et al. (2013); Gudaitytė, Alešiūnaitė, et al. (2014); Artimova, Butrimė , et al. (2016), these teachers, especially those working with the students from different cultures, lack pedagogical (consisting of the knowledge of didactics, psychology, and education management) and communicative competence, covering communication, team work skills, foreign language knowledge and information skills, so they are looking for a variety of ways to gain this competence.
The article aims at giving the answer to the question of how the university teachers, working with the students of different cultures, assess the possibilities of educational competence expression in the learning environment of a specialized university. How their assessment differs from the assessment of teachers who work with the Lithuanian students. Efforts are being made to answer the questions through the research participants, i. e. the teachers of a specialized Lithuanian university.
The research participants have been asked to evaluate the statements reflecting the three parts of the educational competence: pedagogical, communicative, and organizational. The aim is to determine the teachers approach to the possibilities of the educational competence expression, to compare and distinguish the peculiarities of the attitudes of the teachers working with the students of different cultures.
Although, in Lithuania, there is no system of the teacher qualification development; however, individual universities, including our own, have their own faculty competence development centers. Therefore, the respondents of this research were also asked how they would like to improve their educational competence, and what method of development from the proposed "menu" they would select or what proposals they would have.
The article is based on the theoretical positions that highlight constructivist provisions, favourable educational environments for student empowerment, assumptions of the origin of deep learning, the specificity of contemporary learning and higher education (Barnett, 1990, 1999; Jucevičienė, Gudaitytė et al., 2010; Jucevičienė, Lipinskienė, 2001; Jucevičienė , Stanikūnienė, 2002; Petty, 2006, 2008; Ramsden, 2000).
1. Artimová, J., Butrimė, E., Gudaitytė, D., Morkevičienė, S. (2016) ICT application peculiarities in teaching/learning of professional medical terminology in the Latin language: case study. EDULEARN16 Proceedings : 8th International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies : Barcelona, Spain, 4-6 July, 2016. Edited by L. Gómez Chova, A. López Martínez, I. Candel Torres. Barcelona: IATED, 2016, ISBN 9788460888604. p. 347-256. 2. Barnett R. (1990). The Idea of Higher Education. London: SRHE . 3. Barnett, R. (1999). Realizing the University in an Age of Supercomplexity. Buckingham, UK: Society for Research in Higher Education and Open University Press. 4. Gudaitytė, D., Alešiūnaitė, L., Jezukevičienė, R., Morkevičienė, S., Rakutienė, S., Raščiauskaitė, L. (2014). Edukacinės aplinkos kūrimo galimybės dirbant su skirtingos kultūros studentais: studentų ir dėstytojų požiūris. Professional studies : theory and practice. Šiauliai: Šiaulių valstybinė kolegija. ISSN 2345-0576. 2014, Nr. 14, p. 156-160. 5. Gudaitytė, D., Butrimė, E., Ramanauskas, I., Brunevičiūtė, R. ( 2013) Expression of creativity in medical studies for a change in teaching methods. Proceedings of ICERI2013 Conference – 6th International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation : 18-20 November 2013, Seville, Spain. Edited by L. Gómez Chova, A. López Martínez, I. Candel Torres. Seville: IATED, 2013, ISBN 978-84-616-3847-5 ; ISSN: 2340-1095. p. 4017-4023. 6. Jucevičienė, P.; Gudaitytė, D.; Karenauskaitė, V.; Lipinskienė, D.; Stanikūnienė, B.; Tautkevičienė, G. (2010). Universiteto edukacinė galia: atsakas 21-ojo amžiaus iššūkiams: monografija. Kaunas : Technologija. 924 p. ISBN 9789955259022. 7. Jucevičienė P.; Stanikūnienė B. (2002). Universiteto dėstytojų edukacinė kompetencija mokymosi paradigmos kontekste. Socialiniai mokslai, 3(35). Kaunas: Technologija. 8. Jucevičienė, P.; Lipinskienė, D. (2001). Edukacinė studentą įgalinanti studijuoti sistema mokymosi paradigmos kontekste. Socialiniai mokslai, 2(28). Kaunas: Technologija. 9. Petty, G. (2006). Šiuolaikinis mokymas. Praktinis vadovas. Vilnius: Tyto alba (in Lithuanian). 10. Petty, G. (2008). Įrodymais pagrįstas mokymas. Praktinis vadovas. Vilnius: Tyto alba (in Lithuanian). 11. Ramsden, P. (2000). Kaip mokyti aukštojoje mokykloje. Vilnius: Aidai (in Lithuanian). 12. Virgailaitė - Mečkauskaitė, Eglė (2012). Tarpkultūrinės kompetencijos ugdymo edukacinės ypatybės Lietuvos ir užsienio aukštosiose mokyklose magistrantų patirties kontekste. Socialiniai mokslai. Edukologija. Jaunųjų mokslininkų darbai . Nr.I (34).
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.