AE-00-WS 02, Towards Understanding the Role of Adult Education and VET in Promoting Active Citizenship and Inclusion: Lessons from cross-national research
EERA Workshop Tuesday morning (pre-registration required)
This interactive workshop is open to all who are interested in the issues relating to education, training and the social inclusion of young adults in vulnerable situations. The workshop will aim to instigate and support cross-national research collaborations in the field of VET and adult education. Specific strategies for future research projects will be considered and an agenda for future cooperation will be discussed.
The workshop builds on the H2020 Project ‘Adult Education as a Means to Active Participatory Citizenship’ (EduMap). The EduMAP Horizon 2020 project (2016-2019) has been about advancing the understanding of the role of adult education in promoting the social inclusion and active participation of young adults across Europe, considering its current and future impact on learning, development and life chances in an era of risk. The recent debate on active citizenship and adult education has been strongly underpinned by the discussion on how active citizenship could be exercised in a way that would promote inclusion and participation. The workshop will focus on the role played by adult education and VET in contributing to motivating young adults in vulnerable life situations to become active citizens. Engaging adults through different forms of VET contributes strongly to addressing their specific needs and requirements and facilitating their participation in social, economic and civic/political life in their relevant contexts and spaces.
During the workshop, the organisers will provide insight into the findings of the EduMap project. Those attending will then be invited to reflect on their experience, relating to research on vulnerable groups and the role of VET and adult education. This workshop will provide an opportunity for both the discussion of findings from the EduMap project and for reflecting on wider issues, and perspectives of those attending the event. Specifically, the following questions will be addressed thorough discussion:
- How can vulnerable learners’ inclusion, participation and lifelong learning be better supported through adult education/VET?
- What communication patterns between different stakeholders are seen as most effective, specifically for cultivating active citizenship for vulnerable young adults?
- How can stakeholders develop a more clear approach to vulnerability and vulnerable youth (what is meant by ‘vulnerable’)?
- How can we define the concept of active citizenship in adult education settings?
- How can access and collection of data through cross-national research provide insights to improve the quality and efficiency of adult education provisions to vulnerable groups?
- What can we learn from cross-national comparisons?
The event will provide a range of opportunities to develop networks and dialogue between researchers, thus contributing to enhanced communication, cross-national collaboration and mutual understanding across EU countries in the area of adult education and VET.
00. Central Events (Keynotes, EERA-Panel, EERJ Round Table, Invited Sessions)
Network 1. Continuing Professional Development: Learning for Individuals, Leaders, and Organisations
Network 2. Vocational Education and Training (VETNET)
Network 3. Curriculum Innovation
Network 4. Inclusive Education
Network 5. Children and Youth at Risk and Urban Education
Network 6. Open Learning: Media, Environments and Cultures
Network 7. Social Justice and Intercultural Education
Network 8. Research on Health Education
Network 9. Assessment, Evaluation, Testing and Measurement
Network 10. Teacher Education Research
Network 11. Educational Effectiveness and Quality Assurance
Network 12. LISnet - Library and Information Science Network
Network 13. Philosophy of Education
Network 14. Communities, Families and Schooling in Educational Research
Network 15. Research Partnerships in Education
Network 16. ICT in Education and Training
Network 17. Histories of Education
Network 18. Research in Sport Pedagogy
Network 19. Ethnography
Network 20. Research in Innovative Intercultural Learning Environments
Network 22. Research in Higher Education
Network 23. Policy Studies and Politics of Education
Network 24. Mathematics Education Research
Network 25. Research on Children's Rights in Education
Network 26. Educational Leadership
Network 27. Didactics – Learning and Teaching
The programme is updated regularly (each day in the morning)
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.