11 SES 16 A, Improving Higher Education With University Social Responsibility (USR)
Many students at societal and university level show social responsibility by being part of student engagement activities (Vidal et al. 2018). These can be diverse, i.e. mentoring for younger students, involvement in a refugee education project or other fields of student engagement in arts or sports. A discourse has formed around the discussion of student engagement and its formal recognition by universities (Kahu, 2013). The legal frameworks for student engagement vary across countries and provide a non-comparable basis for internationally mobile students, who might receive recognition for student engagement in one country, but not another. The STEP-project, financed in Erasmus+ (2018-2021) focuses on making these differences visible as a basis for discussing student engagement recognition across Europe as a part of socially responsible universities. The research question is: How do higher education institutions in Europe recognize student engagement? The STEP-project provides a European Mapping of legal frameworks of student engagement recognition and a European-wide survey with universities about how student engagement is formally acknowledged (i.e. in diploma supplements, certificates, credits, workshops etc.). Results of the European-wide Mapping show that legal frameworks can be categorized in three formats: • Category 1: Available policy framework on student engagement recognition for higher education in particular • Category 2: Available other policy framework on student engagement recognition independent from higher education • Category 3: No policy framework on student engagement recognition The results are underlined with country-specific outcomes and good practices. Results of the quantitative survey will be available in June 2019 to complement the presentation.
- Kahu, E. R. (2013): Framing student engagement in higher education. Studies in Higher Education, 38:5, 758-773. - Vidal, I.; Miret, J.; Romero, M. (2018): University Social Responsibility. pp.153-166. In: Tomaschek, N. & Resch, K. (Hrsg.): Die Lifelong Learning Universität der Zukunft. Institutionelle Standpunkte der wissenschaftlichen Weiterbildung. Münster: Waxmann.
00. Central Events (Keynotes, EERA-Panel, EERJ Round Table, Invited Sessions)
Network 1. Continuing Professional Development: Learning for Individuals, Leaders, and Organisations
Network 2. Vocational Education and Training (VETNET)
Network 3. Curriculum Innovation
Network 4. Inclusive Education
Network 5. Children and Youth at Risk and Urban Education
Network 6. Open Learning: Media, Environments and Cultures
Network 7. Social Justice and Intercultural Education
Network 8. Research on Health Education
Network 9. Assessment, Evaluation, Testing and Measurement
Network 10. Teacher Education Research
Network 11. Educational Effectiveness and Quality Assurance
Network 12. LISnet - Library and Information Science Network
Network 13. Philosophy of Education
Network 14. Communities, Families and Schooling in Educational Research
Network 15. Research Partnerships in Education
Network 16. ICT in Education and Training
Network 17. Histories of Education
Network 18. Research in Sport Pedagogy
Network 19. Ethnography
Network 20. Research in Innovative Intercultural Learning Environments
Network 22. Research in Higher Education
Network 23. Policy Studies and Politics of Education
Network 24. Mathematics Education Research
Network 25. Research on Children's Rights in Education
Network 26. Educational Leadership
Network 27. Didactics – Learning and Teaching
The programme is updated regularly (each day in the morning)
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.