18 SES 11, Parallel Paper Session
Parallel Paper Session
During the past few decades, research into the social stratification in physical activity and sport has indicated that these practices are undisputedly correlated to possession of socioeconomic and cultural capital. Although sometimes claimed as socially equal, the practice of outdoor recreation appears to display the same pattern. However, recent studies of outdoor recreation-participants with low socioeconomic and cultural capital, indicate that the proportion also engaged in general physical activity is disproportionately high. Drawing on this finding, experiences of nature appears to be particularly important when striving for a life-long physically active lifestyle. The aim of this study is to further investigate the relation between the interest for outdoor recreation and the interest for physical activity.
- Andersen, L.B. et al (2006) Physical activity and clustered cardiovascular risk in children: a cross-sectional study - Bourdieu, Pierre. (1978) Sport and social class, - Bourdieu, Pierre. (1984) Distinction. - Carnethon, M.R., et al. (2003) Cardiorespiratory fitness in young adulthood and the development of cardiovascular disease risk factors - Chick, G. & Hood, R.D. (1996). Working and recreating with machines: outdoor recreation choices among machine tool workers in western Pennsylvania - Engström, Lars-Magnus (2008). Social background and sports participation from adolescence to middle age - Gartner, William, C,. & Lime, David, W. (Eds.). (2000). Trends in Outdoor Recreation, Leisure and Tourism. - Humberstone, Barbara (1993). Equality, Physical Education and Outdoor Education Ideological Struggles and Transformative Structures - Lee J-H., Scott, D., & Floyd, M F. (2001). Structural Inequalities in Outdoor Recreation Participation: A Multiple Hierarchy Stratification Perspective - Paechter, Carrie (2006). Power, bodies and identity: how different forms of physical education construct varying masculinities and femininities in secondary schools - Roberts, N.S. & Henderson, K.A. (1997). Women of Colour in the Outdoors: Culture and Meanings - Scheerder, J., et al (2006) Sports participation among females from adolescence to adulthood: a longitudinal study - Yang, X., Telama, R., Leino, M. & Viikari, J. (1999) Factors explaining the physical activity of young adults: the importance of early socialization
00. Central Events (Keynotes, EERA-Panel, EERJ Round Table, Invited Sessions)
Network 1. Continuing Professional Development: Learning for Individuals, Leaders, and Organisations
Network 2. Vocational Education and Training (VETNET)
Network 3. Curriculum Innovation
Network 4. Inclusive Education
Network 5. Children and Youth at Risk and Urban Education
Network 6. Open Learning: Media, Environments and Cultures
Network 7. Social Justice and Intercultural Education
Network 8. Research on Health Education
Network 9. Assessment, Evaluation, Testing and Measurement
Network 10. Teacher Education Research
Network 11. Educational Effectiveness and Quality Assurance
Network 12. LISnet - Library and Information Science Network
Network 13. Philosophy of Education
Network 14. Communities, Families and Schooling in Educational Research
Network 15. Research Partnerships in Education
Network 16. ICT in Education and Training
Network 17. Histories of Education
Network 18. Research in Sport Pedagogy
Network 19. Ethnography
Network 20. Research in Innovative Intercultural Learning Environments
Network 22. Research in Higher Education
Network 23. Policy Studies and Politics of Education
Network 24. Mathematics Education Research
Network 25. Research on Children's Rights in Education
Network 26. Educational Leadership
Network 27. Didactics – Learning and Teaching
The programme is updated regularly (each day in the morning)
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.