20 SES 06, Intercultural Issues in Foreign Language Teaching
Parallel Paper Session
One of the most challenging aims of the EU government is the creation and establishment of a European society. Societies as well as groups are built on cognitions and feelings of togetherness among persons. Values have a crucial impact on this consciousness of belonging. They develop a hidden power in the context of decision-making by giving priorities and preferences to specific options of problem-solutions. The existence of a particular group depends on the agreement of the members on giving priorities to specific values and on the awareness a single member has on the dominant values hierarchy established by the group. European national societies can be characterized by the existence of a huge variety of different groups within, showing fundamental differences in their traditions, cultures, languages, religions, economics, political and legal foundations. Based on the idea of European Union and anchored in the Treaties of Maastricht and Lisbon the European Union is struggling high endeavor to initiate transnational exchange, collaboration and meeting as well as to support migration. These characteristics typical for European Union form the background context of the presentation.
The paper hypothesizes that differences in the values orientation of young people can be found depending on their national traditions of thinking and problem solving. Theoretically a relation between moral or values education and citizenship education is hypothesized.
The research question is, whether a short-time educational program using dilemma stories as a special didactical approach has a positive impact on the awareness of values related to European Union as well as on the ability to differences between personal values priorities and those established by the national societies.
For our analysis we formulated following research questions:
1. Are there differences between values on personal level and on EU level?
2. Do the participants differentiate between national and EU values being most important in the long run?
3. Has a short-time educational program using dilemma stories as a special didactical approach a positive impact on the awareness and consciousness of values related to European Union as well as on the ability to differentiate between national goals and EU goals?
Patry, J.-L. (2007). VaKE-Introduction and Theoretical Background. In K. Tirri (Ed.), Values and Foundations in Gifted Education (pp. 157-169). Bern: Peter Lang. Patry, J.-L., Weyringer, S. & Weinberger, A. (2010). Values and Knowledge Education (VaKE) in European Summer Camps for Gifted Students: Native versus Non-native Speakers. In C. Klaassen & N. Maslovaty (Eds.), Moral Courage and the Normative Professionalism of Teachers (pp. 133-145). Rotterdam: Sense Publishers. Patry, J.-L., Weyringer, S., & Weinberger, A. (2007). Combining values and knowledge education. In: D. Aspin, & J. Chapman (Eds.). Values education and lifelong learning. (pp. 160-179). New York: Springer Press. Weyringer, S. (2008). VaKE in einem internationalen Sommercampus für (hoch)begabte Jugendliche. Eine Evaluationsstudie. Unpublished Dissertation. Paris Lodron University of Salzburg. Weyringer, S. (2007). Research on VaKE and the gifted. In: K. Tirri, K. & M. Ubani (Eds.), Holistic education and giftedness. Yearbook 2007 of the Department or Practical Theology. (pp. 126–137). University of Helsinki. Weyringer, S. & Patry, J.-L. (2007). VaKE and Education for Leadership and European Citizenship. Faísca. Revista de altas capacidades, journal of high abilities, 12(14), 4-27. Weyringer, S. 2011. Becoming a European Citizen. Education to overcome mistrust. In J. Satterthwhite, H. Piper, P. Sikes & S. Webster. Trust in education. Truths and values. Chester: Trentham Books, pp. 87 - 110
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.