23 SES 09 C, Governing By Inspection I: A European Inspectorate?
Symposium, Part 1
This paper explores the role of the inspectorate in governing by inspection in Europe, through analysis of the role of the Standing International Conference on Inspection (SICI) and discussion of its growth and activities in recent years. We trace the development of SICI, its engagement in research through the SICI academy, and we explore the extent to which SICI offers opportunities for policy brokering by national inspectorates, the role of SICI in policy learning-and teaching-across Europe, and discuss the extent to which its current activity provides evidence of standardization and convergence in inspection practices in Europe. The paper draws on text analysis and interviews with key actors to discuss the work of SICI in relation to European wide processes, such as producing data standards, translating text, mediating meanings or agreeing exchanges, which enable the flow of knowledge to take place. It considers factors that speeds up or slow down policy exchange, and examines the particular role of inspectorates in supporting the flow of comparative knowledge and its translation into practice across Europe.
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.