15 SES 14, Symposium Globalization, Policy And Agency II
Symposium, Part 2
While Northern Ireland (NI) society continues on its journey away from conflict, schools and teacher training colleges remain largely segregated on a religious basis. Since the establishment of the first integrated school only twelve more have been established out of 215 post-primary schools. While successive education ministers have attempted to end academic selection at eleven, it remains an option for primary school pupils. While academic outcomes are very good among the most able, international assessment outcomes indicate underperformance among too many, despite strategies to address this. A modern curriculum is in place which aspires to equip students for the world of work by focusing on the development of transferable skills with a strong emphasis on information technology. Schools increasingly collaborate through the growth of area learning communities. The strong accountability agenda driven by the Department of Education (DENI) and the Education and Training Inspectorate (ETI) creates a climate of ‘performativity’ among headteachers. There is a need for school leadership development which is being addressed to some extent.
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.