Two online events were organized under umbrella of NW17:
1) Colleagues who have been engaged in NW17 for many years and/or whose experience has been sought out especially for ECER 2020 were invited to informally and briefly present their thoughts on one of the three topics, followed by discussions.
Three thematic sessions were held on August 26.
- 1.Session. Understanding Communities in Europe and beyond by (Re)Connecting with Histories of Education, following the Special Call of NW17. Introduction: Geer Tyssen (Western Norway University for Applied Sciences) and Christian Ydesen (Aalborg University, Denmark). Presenters: Wolfgang Göderle (University of Graz, Austria) and Yoonmi Lee (Hongik University, South Korea).
- 2.Session. Refugees in/and Education throughout Time in Europe: Re- and Deconstructions of Discourses, Policies and Practices in Educational Contexts, following the joint Special Call of NW17 and NW07. Presenters: Susanne Spieker (Uni-Landau, Germany) and Anke Wischmann (Europa-Universität Flensburg, Germany)
- 3.Session. History of Education Research “In Quarantine”? Introduction: Sarah Van Ruysekensvelde (KU Leuven, Belgium). Presenters: Susannah Wright (Oxford Brookes University, UK) and Marc Depaepe (KU Leuven, Belgium and University of Latvia). Sessions were followed by Network Meeting.
2) Following the joint special call of NW07 and NW17 'Refugees in/and Education throughout Time in Europe: Re- and Deconstructions of Discourses, Policies and Practices in Educational Contexts', two parallel sessions were organized with 18 papers on August 27. Closing comments were made by Susanne Spieker and Anke Wischmann, initiators of the joint special call. NW17 participated with two papers and chairing of two sessions.