In the context of ECER 2019, the LOC has organized the seminar „Sustainability, the university and me" at the Universität Hamburg in the summer semester 2019. The students have actively engaged in sustainability-projects that relate to all stakeholders at the Universität Hamburg – from administration and student-lead initiatives to conference-attendees of ECER. The UHH education students were invited to create their own projects that highlighted the relationship between educational research, sustainability and the topic of the ECER Conference "Education in an Era of Risk – the Role of Educational Research for the Future".
The projects will be presented at ECER 2019 in the form of 3 activities open to ECER 2019 participants as well as 3 posters.
- The activities 1 and 2 will take place in the “activity area” located next to the poster exhibition in the poster tent. Activity 3, the Sustainability Campus Walk, can be experienced anytime by using the app.
- The posters can be viewed in the poster tent from 02 Sept – 06 Sept.
The three projects are:
1. TACKLING THE RISK OF EXCLUSION: INVESTIGATING RITES OF PASSAGE IN CHILDHOOD, ADOLESCENCE AND ADULTHOOD AND SEEING HOW THESE DIFFER FOR LGBTQ+ MINORITIES
- Activity Role Play LGBTQ+: In the related activity conference goers are asked to share rites of passage from their own cultures in the activity area, and consider how these may differ for sexual minorities.
- Poster: The poster relates the social sustainability of inclusion with the Sustainable Development Goals for Gender Equality.
2. THE RISK OF POLLINATOR DECLINE
- Activity Insect Hotels and Seed Bombs: Participants are invited to get creative, making insect hotels and seed bombs in the activity area.
- Poster: This poster combines Sustainable Development Goals tackling world hunger and protecting life on land as the group investigate the causes for pollinator decline.
3. THE RISK OF INACTION
- Activity The “Sustainability Campus Walk”: By using this app you start on a treasure hunt to find all the Sustainable Development Goals in the UHH campus and surroundings. By walking around the campus and answering puzzles with this app, you too can see the active work the university is engaged with to co-create a better future.
- You can find the app here: https://de.actionbound.com/bound/Sustainability (download the Actionbound App, scan the QR code and you are ready to go!)
- Poster: This poster investigates the link between movement and learning using an easily downloadable app "actionbound“.
As part of the commitment of EERA to ensuring that our annual European Conference on Educational Research (ECER) is as sustainable as possible, we were delighted to work with the local organisers of our Hamburg 2019 conference to develop our 'Green Agenda'. Watch this videoto learn more!