22 SES 07 D, Responding to Theoretical, Analytical and Methodological Challenges in Higher Education Research- Alternative Approaches
This contribution focuses on the theoretical and methodological conceptualization of academics as actors in the higher education arena, especially in view of the recent transformations of discourses, narratives and practices of “social” or “public” engagement or the social role – increasingly dubbed the “Third Mission” – of universities. Reflecting on the conceptualization of academic identities from a variety of disciplines – from the sociology of intellectuals, through the sociology of academic work, to contemporary research on neoliberal subjectivities – the contribution assesses the relative weight contributed to, respectively, structure and agency, in understanding academic engagement. Finally, it discusses some implications of the newest discussions of the “Third Mission” for the understanding of academic agency and positioning.
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.