14 SES 04 A, Multidisciplinary Approaches to Learning in and from Urban Spaces: The City as a Learning Experience - Part 1
In 2013, the municipality in Horsens, a medium-sized provincial town in Denmark, bestowed the city's children and young people a skater facility at the city's central squares. Officially, the municipality donated the facility to give local children and young people an opportunity to use their leisure time stimulating their bodies, having a great time with friends and other urban dwellers. The gift is accompanied by a number of (more or less camouflaged) crime prevention- and social education agendas, carried out by the SSP (a special Social services, School and Police unit), that observe, mingle and socialize at the facility. The social workers affiliated with the SSP understand and define their role in contradiction to the official agenda. The social workers seek to pull the young people off the street and get them to enroll in educational leisure clubs instead. In that perspective, seemingly some groups of adolescents are more entitled to use the facility, whereas groups that confront, interpret and exploit the facility in other ways than the municipality intended, are constructed as less authorized users. In my presentation I examine examples of such contradictory agendas and also debate the young people’s reaction to these opposing messages. In continuation of this I ask what learning experiences the young people accumulate during their use of the skater park facility and what morals and normative expectations, both explicit and symbolic, they must cope with, if they want to explore inner city life?
- Elias, Norbert (1994). The Civilizing Process. Blackwell. - Gilliam, L. (2009) De umulige børn og det ordentlige menneske. Aarhus Universitetsforlag - Gilliam, L. & Gulløv, E. (red.) (2012) Civiliserende institutioner. Om idealer og distinktioner i opdragelse. Aarhus universitetsforlag - Gravesen, D. T. (2013) ”Unges kultur fra sted til sted”. I: Gjallerhorn. Tidsskrift for professionsuddannelser. Nr. 17. 2013 - Hoeben, Evelien & Weerman, Frank (2013) “Situational conditions and adolescent offending: Does the impact of unstructured socializing depend on its location?” I: European Journal of Criminology. Published online 20 November 2013 - Hviid, Kirsten (2007) “No life” – om gadelivsstil, territorialitet og maskulinitet blandt unge mænd i et forstadskvarter. SPIRIT PhD Series. Thesis no. 9. SPIRIT & Department of History, International and Social Studies, Aalborg University - Maimon, David & Browning, Christopher R. (2010) “Unstructured socializing, collective effeciacy, and violent behavior among urban youth”. I: Crimonology, Volume 48, Number 2, 2010 - Rasmussen, Lissi (2012) ”Identitet og fællesskab i kriminelle gruppedannelser”. I: Jacobsen, Michael Hviid (red.) (2012) Skyggelandet. Ungdomskultur, kriminalitetskultur og bandekultur i dansk belysning. Syddansk Universitetsforlag.
00. Central Events (Keynotes, EERA-Panel, EERJ Round Table, Invited Sessions)
Network 1. Continuing Professional Development: Learning for Individuals, Leaders, and Organisations
Network 2. Vocational Education and Training (VETNET)
Network 3. Curriculum Innovation
Network 4. Inclusive Education
Network 5. Children and Youth at Risk and Urban Education
Network 6. Open Learning: Media, Environments and Cultures
Network 7. Social Justice and Intercultural Education
Network 8. Research on Health Education
Network 9. Assessment, Evaluation, Testing and Measurement
Network 10. Teacher Education Research
Network 11. Educational Effectiveness and Quality Assurance
Network 12. LISnet - Library and Information Science Network
Network 13. Philosophy of Education
Network 14. Communities, Families and Schooling in Educational Research
Network 15. Research Partnerships in Education
Network 16. ICT in Education and Training
Network 17. Histories of Education
Network 18. Research in Sport Pedagogy
Network 19. Ethnography
Network 20. Research in Innovative Intercultural Learning Environments
Network 22. Research in Higher Education
Network 23. Policy Studies and Politics of Education
Network 24. Mathematics Education Research
Network 25. Research on Children's Rights in Education
Network 26. Educational Leadership
Network 27. Didactics – Learning and Teaching
The programme is updated regularly (each day in the morning)
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.