28 SES 05 A, Understanding the Movements Resisting the Implementation of Standards Issued From Globalization. A Challenge for Social Sciences of Education?
This presentation considers neoliberalism as a theory that penetrates every domain of society and that is becoming universal, rather than an economic theory. Its central premise is that (only) competition can make human beings better and societies more efficient. Hence, the role assigned to the state is to ensure a high degree of competition. We take a critical stance regarding this narrative that has such profound implications for educational policies and we suggest to rethink education and educational policies by advancing some "humble proposals". These proposals take into consideration the issue of social justice (and cognitive justice) as a driving force in the fight against inequalities and in the affirmation of respect for differences.
BOLTANSKI L. 2009 De la critique. Précis de sociologie de l’émancipation, Paris, Gallimard CAYGILL H. 2013 On Résistance. A Philosophy of Defiance, London/New York, Bloomsbury Publishing Plc FOUCAULT M. 1982 The Subject and Power, Critical Inquiry-8(4), 777-795 POPKEWITZ T.S. 2013 Éducation et Sociétés-31 La raison éducative comme question sociale SANTOS B. de S. 2006 A Gramática do tempo: Para uma nova cultura política, vol. 4 [Para um novo senso común. A ciencia, o direito e a política na transição paradigmática], Porto, Edições Affrontamento WORTH O. 2013 Resistance in the Age of Austerity. Nationalism, the Failure of the Left and the Return of God, Halifax-Winnipeg/London-New York, Fernwood Publishing/Zed Books
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.