ERG SES D 04, Interactive Poster Session
school climate assessment, migrant children in Europe, common european approach
The aim of the poster is to propose a common european approach towards development of an assessment tool measuring the psychosocial well-being of foreign children in all european schools.
(1) School climate will be presented as theoretical construct used in th educational assessment, because of its holistic approach towards school and because of the current need to integrate foreign children into the whole school, not only into the classroom.
(2) Educational assessments will be selected, fullfilling criteria important for development of common european asessment of foreign children in schools.
(2) Good practice of similar assessment tool will be presented: Concretely, the Multucultural School Sclimate Inventory (MSCI), developed and validated by Sherry Marx, PhD, and Deborah Byrnes, PhD, from the School of Teacher Education and Leadership, Utah State University, who have kindly given the permission for further use.
(3) Based on the above point, a common european model for development of MSCI will be presented.
The validation of instrument Multicultural School Climate Inventory (MSCI) will be used as example for an applicable and relevant asessment tool. MSCI is a 22-item survey. Its scale has been developed to assess students’ perceptions of the multicultural school climate. MSCI was initially tested on 1511 students at a secondary school, grades 8-9 over a three year period. MSCI proved to be such a helpful tool for examining and ultimately improving multicultural school climate from the perspective of diverse students, that the authors made the instrument available to schools and scholars wishing to examine and thereafter improve multicultural school climate. The authors of MSCI, Sherry Marx, PhD, and Deborah Byrnes, PhD from School of Teacher Education and Leadership, at Utah State University, have kindly given the permission to further validate MSCI.
Through the poster initiative at the Emerging Researchers´ Conference I want to
(1) to give opportunity for insight into the process of adaptation of a concrete assessment tool for use in european context,
(2) to show the importance of qualitative research, expecially the importance of school climate assessment, in the current age of migration and globalization.
(3) to support common european cooperation in terms of educational assessments used in european schools to enhance integration of foreign children
(1) Support the importance of qualitative research in education due to significant school climate change caused by migrant children in european schools.
(2) Present big need of school climate assessment instruments in european schools
(3) Presenting suggestion of the most important school climate questionnaires which can be used in most european educational systems
(4) Presenting the validation of school climate questionnaires and their application, as the main path for common educational research in Europe
Methodology: (1) School climate will be presented as theoretical construct used in th educational assessment, because of its holistic approach towards school and because of the current need to integrate foreign children into the whole school, not only into the classroom. (2) Educational assessments will be selected, fullfilling criteria important for development of common european asessment of foreign children in schools. (2) Good practice of similar assessment tool will be presented: Concretely, the Multucultural School Sclimate Inventory (MSCI), developed and validated by Sherry Marx, PhD, and Deborah Byrnes, PhD, from the School of Teacher Education and Leadership, Utah State University, who have kindly given the permission for further use. (3) Based on the above point, a common european model for development of MSCI will be presented.
We believe that especially after a major change of school climates in european schools - after receiving migrant children - there is a vast european need to know the school climate from many perspectives. The dynamic nature of school climate is another reason why tools should be used, especially those which already proved to be beneficial.
Marx, Byrnes. Multicultural School Inventory.Current issues in education. Vol 15, No 3. 2012: https://cie.asu.edu/ojs/index.php/cieatasu/article/view/960 Griffith a kol. Assessing Intercultural Competence in Higher Education: Existing Research and Future Directions. Volume 2016, Issue 2, December 2016, strany 1–44: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ets2.12112/full Mwoma, T., & Pillay, J. (2016). Educational Support for Orphans and Vulnerable Children in Primary Schools: Challenges and Interventions. Issues In Educational Research, 26(1), 82-97. Schmitt, J. (2012). Integration von kindern mit migrationshintergrund in der schule. Retrieved from https://ebookcentral.proquest.com Ravens-Sieberer a kolektív. Kidscreen-52 quality of life measure for children and adolescents. Expert Review of Pharmacoeconomics & Outcomes Research react-text: 61 5(3):353-64 61 5(3):353-64, EUROPEAN KIDSCREEN GROUP, S. B. DETMAR, J. BRUIL, U. RAVENS-SIEBERER, A. GOSCH a C. BISEGGER. The Use of Focus Groups in the Development of the KIDSCREEN HRQL Questionnaire. Quality of Life Research [online]. 2006, 15(8), 1345 [cit. 2018-01-29]. DOI: 10.1007/s11136-006-0022-z. ISSN 09629343. Kidscreen-52: https://www.kidscreen.org/ "KOSTELECKÁ, Yvona. Žáci-cizinci v základních školách: fakta, analýzy, diagnostika. Praha: Univerzita Karlova v Praze, Pedagogická fakulta, 2013. ISBN 978-80-7290-630-7. http://www.inkluzivniskola.cz/sites/default/files/uploaded/kostelecka_zaci-cizinci_v_zakladnich_skolach.pdf" KOSTELECKÁ, Yvona, David HÁNA a Jiří HASMAN. Integrace žáků-cizinců v širším kontextu. Praha: Univerzita Karlova, Pedagogická fakulta, 2017. ISBN 978-80-7290-896-7. KLOUČKOVÁ, Jana. Integrace dětí cizinců ve školách - případová studie výběrového gymnázia Christiana Dopplera v Praze. Integrace dětí cizinců ve školách - případová studie výběrového gymnázia Christiana Dopplera v Praze / Jana Kloučková ; vedoucí práce Eva Janská ; oponent práce Klára Fiedlerová [online]. 2012 [cit. 2018-01-10]. AURICA-IRIS ALEXE. Assessing The Foreign Children’ Situation Into The Romanian Educational System. An Empirical Approach For The Region Of Bucharest-Ilfov. SEA - Practical Application of Science [online]. 2016, (10), 113 [cit. 2018-01-10]. ISSN edsrep. MACHOVCOVÁ, Kateřina. Czech elementary school teachers’ implicit expectations from migrant children. International Journal of Educational Development [online]. 2017, 53, 92-100 [cit. 2018-01-10]. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijedudev.2016.12.006. ISSN 07380593.
00. Central Events (Keynotes, EERA-Panel, EERJ Round Table, Invited Sessions)
Network 1. Continuing Professional Development: Learning for Individuals, Leaders, and Organisations
Network 2. Vocational Education and Training (VETNET)
Network 3. Curriculum Innovation
Network 4. Inclusive Education
Network 5. Children and Youth at Risk and Urban Education
Network 6. Open Learning: Media, Environments and Cultures
Network 7. Social Justice and Intercultural Education
Network 8. Research on Health Education
Network 9. Assessment, Evaluation, Testing and Measurement
Network 10. Teacher Education Research
Network 11. Educational Effectiveness and Quality Assurance
Network 12. LISnet - Library and Information Science Network
Network 13. Philosophy of Education
Network 14. Communities, Families and Schooling in Educational Research
Network 15. Research Partnerships in Education
Network 16. ICT in Education and Training
Network 17. Histories of Education
Network 18. Research in Sport Pedagogy
Network 19. Ethnography
Network 20. Research in Innovative Intercultural Learning Environments
Network 22. Research in Higher Education
Network 23. Policy Studies and Politics of Education
Network 24. Mathematics Education Research
Network 25. Research on Children's Rights in Education
Network 26. Educational Leadership
Network 27. Didactics – Learning and Teaching
The programme is updated regularly (each day in the morning)
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.