01 SES 07 A, Pedagogy, Education and Praxis: An eleven-year progress report from an international research network - Part 1
Symposium to be continued in 01 SES 08 A
The Pedagogy, Education and Praxis (PEP) network is a cross-institutional, collaborative research program which brings together researchers from Finland, Norway, Sweden, The Netherlands, Australia, Columbia, the Caribbean, and the UK. These researchers are investigating the nature, traditions and conditions of pedagogy, education and praxis and how they are understood, developed and sustained in different national contexts and various educational settings. The PEP international network emerged in 2005 out of a series of discussions about the ways in which the bureaucratization and de-professionalization of education were eroding the moral, social and political commitments that informed pedagogical practice until the recent past, and a shared conviction of the need for a form of educational research committed to reviving and restoring these commitments.
The symposium will present findings from a systematic review of well over two hundred PEP publications 2007-2018 (books, chapters, refereed journal articles, special issues, refereed conference proceedings and doctoral theses) generated from the PEP research program, Action Research and Practice Theory.
Researchers in the PEP network have been exploring five research questions:
- What is educational praxis?
- How, in different national contexts, is good professional practice/praxis being understood, experienced and practised by teachers and teacher educators?
- How, in different national contexts, is good professional education (that is, educational praxis development) being understood, experienced and practised by teachers and teacher educators?
- How, in different national contexts, are the changing cultural, social, political and material conditions for praxis and praxis development affecting the educational practices of teachers and teacher educators?
- What research approaches facilitate praxis and praxis development in different international contexts?
The symposium will include five papers presenting brief syntheses of findings from across the PEP research program about each of these questions. Because it addresses all five of the PEP network research questions, the symposium covers several themes of interest to Network 1 including:
- ways in which teachers and other professionals on the field of education learn and develop throughout their professional career;
- organisational, historical, situational, and policy contexts in which their professional learning occurs;
- knowledge that shapes their professional identity or contributes to their understanding and betterment;
- conditions and practices that improve and encourage professional development.
Rönnerman, K., Edwards-Groves, C., & Grootenboer, P. (2018). Att leda från mitten – Lärare som driver professionell utveckling. [Leading from the middle: Teachers driving professional development]. Stockholm: Lärarförlaget. Grootenboer, P. (2018). The practices of school middle leadership: Leading professional learning: Leading professional learning. Singapore: Springer. Almqvist, J., Hamza, K. & Olin, A. (2017). Undersöka och utveckla undervisning. Professionell utveckling för lärare [Explore and develop teaching. Professional development for teachers]. Lund: Studentlitteratur. Mahon, K., Francisco, S. & Kemmis, S. (Eds.) (2017) Exploring Education and Professional Practices. Singapore: Springer. Grootenboer, P., Edwards-Groves, C. & Choy. S. (Eds) (2017). Practice Theory Perspectives on Pedagogy and Education: Praxis diversity and contestation. Singapore: Springer. Wilkinson, J., Bristol, L., & Ponte, P. (Eds.) (2016). Professional development: Education for all as praxis. Routledge. Kemmis, S., Wilkinson, J., Edwards-Groves, C., Hardy, I., Grootenboer, P. (2014) Changing Practices, Changing Education. Singapore: Springer. Kemmis, S. & Smith, T.J. (Eds.) (2008). Enabling Praxis: Challenges for education. Rotterdam: Sense. Ax, J. & Ponte, P. (Eds.). (2008). Critiquing praxis: The teaching profession in contemporary educational praxis. Rotterdam: Sense. Rönnerman, K., Furu, E.M. & Salo, P. (Eds.). (2008). Nurturing praxis: Action research in partnerships between school and university in a Nordic light. Rotterdam: Sense.
The programme is updated regularly (each day in the morning)
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.