16 SES 10 B, Virtual Environments
Parallel Paper Session
The purpose of this paper is to present the global results of research related to the project named as: “Didactic-Pedagogical-Technological Modeling of Virtual Classroom in Higher Education: a study of implementation at the University of Extremadura”.
This project has been financed by Extremadura Autonomous Government and EU FEDER Funds, identified as PRI09A072, and it follows the guide lines of Extremadura Government concerning political implementation of “Knowledge society”.
The aims of this project are as follows:
1. Formalize knowledge management models based on the use of virtual classrooms.
2. Define and differentiate the semantic space between virtual platforms and virtual classrooms.
3. Develop educational and didactic-pedagogical model established by the virtual classrooms.
4. Investigate technological spaces that favor the use of virtual classrooms.
5. Realize empirical studies on the feasibility of these technologies and methodologies in virtual subjects at the University of Extremadura.
6. Demonstrate the feasibility and high economic return to the University of Extremadura.
7. Define profiles of using virtual classrooms in higher education.
The project was limited to the period of three years. The first year was mainly dedicated to set out the conceptual basis of the issue. Virtual debates were launched with experts on the use of these technologies in higher education on an international level.
In the second year, experiences were developed using these technologies and methodologies in the fields of management, research and teaching at the University of Extremadura. That year, several studies were developed using synchronous virtual classrooms in different subjects of different titles in three of four campuses of the University of Extremadura.
In the third year, a professional training program for teachers at the University of Extremadura at the four University campuses is taking place. It is aimed at developing teaching skills and technology in the use of Adobe Connect Pro and Elluminate.
This communication intends to present the overall results obtained in these three installments of the research and its different phases. It emphasizes not only on the pedagogical and technological aspects of the use of synchronous virtual classrooms in higher education, but also on the policy objectives of developing the knowledge society of the University of Extremadura and the Junta de Extremadura since 1999.
Alonso, L. y Blázquez, F. (2009). Are the functions of teachers in e-learning and face-to-face learning environments really different? Educational Technology & Society, 12 (4), 331-343.
Área Moreira, M. (2009). Manual electrónico. Introducción a la Tecnología Educativa. [en línea]
Search the ECER Programme
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.