05 SES 12, Urban Education & Children and Youth at Risk
Parallel Paper Session
This paper presents the first analysed data from the research project "Youth as Visual Culture Producers: Artistic Skills and Savoir in Secondary Education" financed by the Spanish Innovation and Science Ministry (EDU2009-13712). The focus of the project is onto an aspect that has hardly been of the Spanish researchers' interest in comparison with consumerism and the uses and effects of Visual Culture and media. In this case the spotlight is on the Visual Culture production of young people. The hypothesis underneath is that in secondary education is no taken into account how teenagers are connecting with savoirs in and outside school, particularly, those involving artistic skills and aesthetic experiences (Birbili, 2005; Hargreaves, Earl and Ryan, 1998). Therefore, in this context, the main goal of the project is to provide an understanding that could bring together what school teaches and the cultural activities and skills young people develop in their everyday lives.
After the first two years and having completed the state of the question phase (Aguirre, 2011), 786 teenagers - ages 15 to 19 from schools all around Spain -, answered a three-parts questionnaire:
- The first meant to draw a general picture of their Visual Culture production.
- The second goes deeper on the contexts and circumstances in which the activity the teenager has chosen as her/his most frequent takes place.
- The third explores the connection between school learning and the savoirs they put into play as Visual Culture producers.
AGUIRRE. I. (2011) Cultura visual, política da estética e educação emancipadora. En Martins, R. & Tourinho, I. (Eds). Educaçao da Cultura Visual: Conceitos e contextos. pp. 51-68. Santa Maria (Brasil): Editora UFSM. ISBN: 978-85-7391-148-0. AGUIRRE, I.; OLAIZ, I.; CALVELHE, L. (2011) Efectos de la reflexividad en una prueba piloto sobre una investigación con jóvenes. In Hernández, F. (coord.) Investigar con los jóvenes. Cuestiones temáticas, éticas, metodológicas y educativas. Esbrina Recerca nº 7 pp. 115-123. Universitat de Barcelona. BARTHES, R. (1971) Elementos de semiología. Madrid: Alberto Corazón. BIRBILI, M. (2005) Constants and Contexts in Pupil Experience of Schooling in England, France and Denmark, European Educational Research Journal, 4(3), pp. 313-320. DEWEY, J. (1949) Arte como experiencia. México/Buenos Aires: Fondo de Cultura Económica. GEERTZ, C. (1995) La interpretación de las culturas. Barcelona: Gedisa. HARGREAVES, A.; LORNA, E; RYAN, J. (1998) Una educación para el cambio: reinventar la educación de los adolescentes. Barcelona: Octaedro. MACBETH, D. (2001) “On “Reflexivity” in Qualitative Research: Two Readings, and a Third”. Qualitative Inquiry, Vol. 7, n. 1, 2001, pp. 35-68. SEBEOK, T. & SEBEOK, J. (1981) 'You Know My Method,' In Sebeok, T. The Play of Musement, Bloomington, IA: Indiana. VAN MANEN, M. (2003) Investigación educativa y experiencia vivida. Barcelona: Idea Educación. WIESENFELD, E. (2000) “Entre la prescripción y la acción: la brecha entre la teoría y la práctica en las investigaciones cualitatica”. In FORUM: Qualitative Social Research vol. 1, n,2, Art. 30.
Search the ECER Programme
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.