01 SES 11 C, Considering the Complexity of CPD for Teachers and Leaders
Parallel Paper Session
The main goal of this presentation is to discuss a new development and trend within the field of continuing professional development of school supervisors and principals towards their perspectives concerning educational management and activity theory. Also it will share conditions and practices that improve and encourage school supervisors and principals professional development concerning innovative pedagogical methods within teacher education.
The rationale for this research is that according to Brazilian Industry Confederation (2009) more than half of Brazilian industries lack qualified labor force. According to them the basic problem is the low quality level of basic education. Altogether the Program for International Student Assessment (PISA) 2009 points out that while Brazil is in the 51st place Finland is in the 3rd place. So, developing a research in a country that shows best results in educational development would contribute to further studies and educational development in Brazil, also it would contribute to spread Finnish researches and theoretical approaches there in Brazil.
The specific goals concerning the progress research are:
1) To analyze, within the framework of the Activity Theory (Vygotsky,1934/2001 and 2004; Leontiev, 1977/2003; Engeström, 1991 and 1999) the activities involved in the educational management related to the connection among study, educate and monitor
2) To evaluate the contradictions generated within the Creative Chain (Liberali, 2006) and their impact;
3) To analyze the discourse that embodies these activities in the Creative Chain (Liberali, 2006);
4) To propose means to dialectically transform the Creative Chain (Liberali, 2006) through the contradictions.
The research questions designed in order to guide this study are:
· How are the activities covered by educational management organized?
· Who are the subjects and what are their roles in those activities?
· What are the contradictions generated throughout the activity development?
· What are the contradictions´ impacts to the activity expansion?
· How is the discourse that embodies the Creative Chain organized?
Although many studies show relevant background towards educational management (Hartley, 1999; Heck & Hallinger, 2005; Carvalho, 2009; Araújo & Castro, 2011) they do not mention anything related to Social Historical Cultural Activity Theory (Vygotsky, 2001 and 2004; Leontiev, 1979, Engeström, 1991 and 1999).
Neither to the importance of considering management as instrument for each activity in a Creative Chain (Liberali, 2006). According to the author Creative Chain are activities intentionally interconnected, like bonds in a chain, which means the interconnection amongst activities and its possible contradictions as a movement of expansion.
Regarding educational management, according to Aranha, 2009 it is necessary to take all people involved in school environment into consideration when thinking about educational management, in order to provide a commitment to education including the community as a whole not only at school but also at its surroundings.
Therefore, creativity and intentionality are essential for teacher education discussion. This way educational management can be seen not only as an object or as a bureaucratic artifact but as a possibility of expansion and consequently of transformation of all involved in educational processes.
ARANHA, Elvira School principal role: a collaborative discussion, PUC-SP, 2009.
Brazilian Industry Confederation Special Survey, http://www.cni.org.br/portal/data/files/8A9015D015E3BBB80115F65693CB703E/Sondagem%20Especial%20M%C3%A3o%20de%20obra.pdf (last accessed 23 January 2012).
ARAUJO, Suêldes; CASTRO, Alda. Educational management: overcomimg the bureaucratic model? Rio de Janeiro, v. 19, n. 70, mar. 2011
The programme is updated regularly (each day in the morning)
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.