23 SES 10 A, Power and Emotion
Parallel Paper Session
This paper examines possible entanglements between unpleasant and pleasant affects, their global evocation and their managerial aftershocks in Danish public schools. It examines the formation and affectivity of educational management, relating them to national identities/intensities as well as notions of selfhood and otherness, through an encounter between Danish school principals and Southeast Asian schools.
The paper is based in poststructural conceptualisations of leadership and the affective turn.
• Ahmed, S. (2004) ‘The performativity of Disgust’. In Ahmed, A. The Cultural Politics of Emotions. Edinburg University Press: 82-100. • Anderson, B. (2006) ‘Becoming and being hopeful: towards a theory of affect’, Environment and Planning. 24(5): 733-752. • Barad, K. (2007) Meeting the universe halfway. Quantum physics and the entanglement of matter and meaning. Durham & London: Duke University Press. • Butler, J. (1993) Bodies that matters: On the Discursive Limits of “sex”. New York: Routledge. • Bjerg, H. & D. Staunæs (2011) ‘Self-management through shame: Uniting Governmentality studies and the “Affective Turn”’, Ephemera: theory & politics in organizations, 11(2): 138-156. • Held, D. (2002) Globalization/Anti-Globalizations. Cambridge: Polity Press. • Massumi, B. (2002) Parables for the virtual. Movement. Affect. Sensation. Durham & London. Duke University Press. • Miller, W. I. (1997) The antonomy of disgust. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. • Mohanty, C. (1988) ‘Under Western eyes’, Feminist Review 30: 65-88. • Moisi, D. (2009) The Geopolitics of Emotion. How cultures of Fear, humiliation and hope are reshaping the world. New York: Anchor Books. • Ngai, S. (2005) Ugly feelings. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. • Pors, J. G. & D. Staunæs (2011) ´Hvordan føles det at tabe i OECD? Chok og skam som affektiv motor i uddannelsespolitik og -ledelse’, Unge Pædagoger 4: 18-36. • Said, E. (1978) Orientalism. London: Vintage Books. • Staunæs, D. (2011) ‘Governing the potentials of Life: Interrogating the Promises in Affective Educational Leadership’, Journal of Educational History and Administration 43(3): 227-247. • Thrift, N. (2004) ‘Intensities of feeling: Towards a spatial Politics of affect’, Geografiska Annaler 86B: 57-78. • Tsing, A. (2005) Friction. An Ethnography of Global Connection. Princeton & Oxford: Princeton University Press.
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.