04 SES 14 A, Gender Violence Prevention: Educational Actions and Empowerment
This paper describes the educational interventions developed by an egalitarian men’s association called Homes en Diàleg (Men in Dialogue). Their interventions have been studied in a Spanish R+D study analyzing the impact of communicative acts in the construction of new masculinities (Soler, 2010-2012). Masculinity is a topic deeply analyzed in the last thirty years (Connell 2005; Kimmel, 2000; Kaufman, 2001). However, there is a lack of research about how communicative acts, interactions and social context (Searle &Soler, 2004; Flecha & Soler, 2010) influence the construction of new masculinities that are opposed to hegemonic ones. Recent analyses show the power of egalitarian men’s movements to promote a language of desire towards egalitarian men (Flecha & Puigvert, 2010) and thus toward values that promote relationships free of violence, and as an influential space from where to develop educational actions that reach teenagers. The results of the study indicated elements linked to communicative acts through education measures fostering new masculinities overcoming values related to gender violence. Illustrating the power of creativity and critical potential of young men as educational actors, the association studied presents actions that contribute to prevent and overcome gender violence empowering youth and adults to unity desire and egalitarian men.
The programme is updated regularly (each day in the morning)
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.