07 SES 10 JS, Critical Reflections on Social Justice and Equality in Education, Part I: Critical Ethnography in Nordic Context- with European Refelctions
Joint Session with NW 19
The aim of this paper is to explore spatial praxis of vocational upper secondary education in two Nordic countries. The paper is based on ethnographic studies in three different contexts of vocational education: the male dominated Vehicle and female dominated Child and Recreation Programme in Sweden, and the female dominated Institute of Social and Health Care in Finland. When reading our data we have paid attention to the students’ agency in school space. Moreover, we have looked at emotional aspects related on space; how particular spaces turn out to be associated with discomfort and frustration, whereas some other spaces seem to offer sense of safety and sometimes even pleasure. The spatial praxis in the Institute of Social and Health Care and in the Vehicle Programme reinforces vocational habitus. At the same time it establishes particular kind of femininities and masculinities, which makes deconstruction of gender segregation difficult. However, due this reinforcement of vocational habitus both these educations offer for student at least some level sense of dignity whereas the spatial praxis of Child and Recreation Programme is more uncertain in that sense.
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.