22 SES 12 A, Motivation is Important for Excellence in Higher Education, Isn’t It?!
Students who participate in post-secondary honors programs score higher on mean level GPA, measures of academic self-efficacy, conscientiousness, creativity, and openness to experience (Ogilvie & Reza, 2009). Yet only a small portion of eligible students chooses to participate in honors. Building on previous yet limited research, this study focused on achievement goal orientation, which the researcher hypothesized would predict students’ enrollment in honors. The goal orientation of 398 high-ability community college students was measured utilizing the Achievement Goal Questionnaire–Revised (AGQ-R; Elliott & Murayama, 2008). A simultaneous logistic regression was used to model students’ decisions to participate in honors. The predictor variables in this study were the four factors in the 2 x 2 model of achievement goal orientation: mastery-approach, mastery-avoidance, performance-approach, and performance-avoidance. The results of the logistic analysis indicated that the four-predictor model did not provide a statistically significant improvement over the constant-only model. These findings suggest that the set of predictors do not discriminate between high-ability students who choose to participate in a community college honors program and those that choose to forego participation.
Search the ECER Programme
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.