23 SES 11 B, Youth on the Move – Transitions in Times of Uncertainty (Part 1)
Symposium: to be continued in 23 SES 12 B, 23 SES 13 B
This presentation will analyse how institutional and market professionals channel young people’s transition from secondary school to higher education in the French context. It will focus on the discourse and activities of various intermediaries including educational professionals in secondary schools (headteachers, teachers, school counsellors) and in higher education institutions (administrators, HE counsellors) as well as journalists, psychologists and counsellors working in public or private agencies in the guidance sector. The theoretical framework combines perspectives adopted by class sociologists interested in processes of social closure and opportunity hoarding and perspectives developed by economic sociologists exploring socio-technical mediations between provision and demand. In applying these perspectives to the educational field, we are interested in showing how professionals and the devices they resort to influence how students from different socio-economic backgrounds perceive the field of higher education and opportunities and risks associated with different educational pathways. The presentation will be based on an ongoing study in the Parisian region and will draw on the qualitative data collected through a large number of observations and interviews in 4 lycées, in 8 higher education fairs organized by public or private agencies and in open door events held by 20 different higher education institutions.
Search the ECER Programme
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.