19 SES 09 B, Teachers' Empowerment, Students' Power and Participation
This abstract reports on findings from ethnographic practice research on the relation between the practice of teaching and children’s participation in classroom practices. The empirical data was conducted over a period of two years in one school located in Copenhagen. The research focus is on differentiated teaching and the professional development of teaching in diverse Classrooms.
The aim is to explore and bring forth knowledge about children’s different ways of participating in class during teaching and to empower the teachers with this knowledge. Thus, we are preoccupied with how children are mastering classroom learning and how teachers respond to the differences among the children.
Research questions are:
- How do teachers understand differences among pupils and how do they respond to these differences?
- How do students participate in the classrooms?
- What is going on between the students and how do their relations influence the teaching?
- How do teachers develop the practice of teaching in close collaborations with researchers (and research findings from studying practice)?
To explore these questions we draw on the work of Pierre Bourdieu and his concepts of social reproduction and symbolic violence (Bourdieu, 1990) and on Zygmunt Baumann and his concepts of social exclusion and homelessness (Baumann, 2004). The analytical approach is directed toward the assumption that what is going on in schools is related to societal and cultural structures of power and implicit understandings of normality and deviation. The political and educational focus on diversity, inclusion and equality must in this analytical framework, be seen in the light of exclusion and marginalization of some children.
Archer, M. (2007). Making our Way through the World – Human Reflexivity and Social Mobility. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Baumann, Zygmunt (2004): Wasted lives. Modernity and its outcasts. Blackwell Bjørnsrud, H. (2005) Rom for aksjonslæring, om tilpasset opplæring, inkludering og lærerplansarbeid, Gyldendal. Bourdieu, P. (1977) Outline of a theory of practice, Cambridge University Press. Bourdieu, P. & Wacquant, L.J.D. (1992) An Invitation to Reflexsive Sociology, Polity Press. Bourdieu, P. & Passeron, J.C. (1990). Reproduction in Education, Society and Culture. London. Sage Publications. Flyvbjerg, B. (2001) Samfundsvidenskab som virker, Akademisk Forlag. Geertz, Clifford (1973): The interpretation of cultures selected essays. Basic Books, Inc., Puhlishers, New York Norwich, B. & Jones, J. (2012) Lesson Study – Making a Difference to Teaching Pupils with Learning Difficulties, Bloomsbury Academics.
The programme is updated regularly (each day in the morning)
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.