ERG SES I 03, Networking DIY? Strategies for early career researchers
Networking is a vital component of the lifelong learning process, especially within the academic careers of young researchers who aim to develop a professional profile internationally.
Trans-national networking is becoming recognised to a greater extent as an important instrument with which to mutually adjust, improve and orientate research in Europe and worldwide. Publication resulting from international networking is among the outcomes often sought by researchers, as is participation in international research grant programmes.
In the era of internationalisation, universities and institutions across the world recognise the value of networking in international contexts as a way of fostering research collaboration, mobility exchange and curriculum improvement from a global perspective (Camedda, Mirman-Flores, Ryan-Mangan, 2017). Yet, young researchers often struggle to find their own way to build professional relationships that will lead to effective collaboration.
This workshop will offer a space for reflection on this topic as well as practical and engaging activities for networking strategies development for emerging researchers. The workshop will also support participants who might struggle to network spontaneously offering a ‘safe space’ of collaboration.
- To enable emerging researchers to become more familiar with the concept of networking.
- To promote strategies that can enhance professional network with peers and more established researchers.
- To reflect on issues related to the establishment of networks for researchers at an early stage of their academic careers.
- Deepen their understanding of issues and opportunities linked to academic networking, reflecting on their own approaches and experiences.
- Acquire some strategies and avail of the opportunity to practise some of the skills necessary for strategic academic networking.
- Reinforce their confidence in establishing networks among peers and with established academics.
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.