16 SES 10 A, Self-regulated Learning in Technology Enhanced Learning Environments II
Symposium, Part 2
Learning in TELE requires self-regulated learning (SRL) that requires decisions about what, how, when, and where to learn. An approach for fostering SRL is the use of scaffolds. Our approach is collaborative scaffolding within a competition framework. Generally scaffolding is effective and has a medium effect size (Van de Pol, Volman, & Beishuizen, 2010; Swanson & Lussier, 2001). In a meta-analysis, Johnson, Maruyama, Johnson, Nelson, & Skon (1981) show cooperation as more effective than interpersonal competition and individualistic efforts. Furthermore an additional justification of answers can enhance learning performance (Falze, Dahar, & Niwaz, 2010). Within an existing LMS we developed COSAMUI (Collaborative scaffolding with multiple-choice). The module includes the following remote but cooperative learning activities: Creating groups of two students, planning time-management, proposing and commenting answers, reviewing answers, solving questions and monitoring results. The α-Version has been exposed to a test for usability with six students, demonstrating that COSAMUI works. Currently the module is set up in a separate learning unit. We are investigating COSAMUI within a counterbalanced measures design, analysing quantitative data on performance, learning motivation and online activity, and rating qualitative data on quality of comments and peer reviews. Results of the study will be presented.
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.